Monday, May 28, 2012

Product Review: Gripper Primer by Glidden



I have learned a lot about paint when doing a furniture makeover.  One of the most important steps is using a paint primer before applying your chosen color.  I have mostly used RustOleum spray primer for small jobs but found that it started getting expensive because I was using 2 to 3 cans for one piece of furniture.  To make my dollar stretch I have recently needed a regular paintable primer for chairs, tables and larger objects.  I went to my local hardware store and saw Gripper Primer by Glidden, a water-based primer sealer.  The rules to follow for primer are: 1) Use a Black China Bristle Brush and 2) Use 2 coats of primer letting each one dry 24 hours before applying the next one.  A black china brush is recommended because it won’t leave such deep ridges when painting the primer but I found this to be unsuccessful.  So I tried using some cheap brushes I got at the craft store that did not leave deep ridges so I felt relieved because the deep ridges made sanding to get a smooth surface so frustrating.  Well once I started sanding, using a 220 sand paper, it came off in weird almost plastic-y rolls.  I was so disappointed.  I had already spent days and hours on these drawers for a vanity I was working on.  So I consulted my art guru, my mother, who suggested I use Kilz Original, an oil-based primer sealer.  I tried it on a different drawer I hadn’t primed yet.  It did not leave such deep ridges and sanded to such a soft smooth surface that I couldn’t stop rubbing my hand over it because I was so thrilled at the outcome.  The odor was a bit stronger than the Gripper but any project requiring the use of paint and/or primer should wear an odor mask specifically for paint, which will also cut down on the possibility of getting a monster headache.  After reading some of the reviews on the hardware stores website it seems that more people liked the Gripper over the Kilz so it maybe one of the things to try for yourself it see which one you prefer but from my experience try the Kilz……and wear a mask.
3M Tekk Protection Paint Odor Valved Respirator
Kilz Original Pirmer Sealer
Corona Mesa Black China Bristle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...